I am hitting on this topic because I was recently asked, “Viken, how do you get so much done in a day?”
That’s a question I can’t help asking myself with admiration and amazement every evening!
Here are some answers:
- I follow Ben Franklin’s advice: early to bed and early to rise.
- I answer my cell discriminately.
- I empower my staff so they do not have to email or call me unnecessarily.
- I check my email 3 times a day, not every 5 minutes.
- I reply to an email, delete it, or file it as a to-do item. My inbox has less than 30 emails at one time. Usually less than 5.
- Anything that takes three minutes or less, I do immediately.
- I delete useless endless emails such as jokes and unnecessary social stuff.
- I do not tweet, Facebook and post on GIFT-PL as if it were my job.
- I am not hanging out at Starbucks 3 times a day. Like everyone else, I enjoy Starbucks, however it has not become my home away from home.
- I eat a light lunch. I eat a lighter dinner.
- I eliminate time vampires.
- And, when I do happy hour, it’s at 8 PM, not 4:45. (Unless I am having fun with a client, which I like to do. )
Finally, I remain ROI-conscious, and create and update this ongoing three-tiered to-do list:
1. Down the road
2. Proactive and Important
I try to minimize the Urgent so I can focus on #2. Best way to do it? I take a “thought break” into nature (it’s easy here in Valley Forge Park) with my notepad and “think.” And yes, I shut off my cellphone.