Useful Tips For Your Donors
If you’re making a charitable donation, ensure you’re eligible for a yearly tax deduction by meeting these important dates.
Be sure to call the charity to:
- find out which assets/donations are acceptable
- inform them of any assets you’re transferring or donations you’re sending, and
- determine deadlines for acceptance and processing to meet tax deduction requirements.
Important: Remember that the business offices of some charities may be closed over the holidays. Contact them as soon as possible to ensure that you receive a timely acknowledgment letter for tax year 2019!
Keep the following in mind:
- Gifts of appreciated stock should be made by Dec. 26, 2019 so that your broker has time to transfer the stocks and the receiving broker has time to value the stocks. (Do not sell the stock first!)
- Credit card gifts made online or by phone must be completed by Dec. 31, 2019.
- Checks sent via the U.S. Postal Service to any charity must be postmarked by Dec. 31, 2019.
- Checks sent to charities via carriers such as UPS, FedEx and DHL must be physically received on or before Dec. 31, 2019.
- Wire transfers of cash must be initiated no later than Dec. 28, 2019. Careful with wire transfers. Some brokers or banks may not get it done.
- Grant recommendations: Check with the intended charity, as processing times vary. Remember, grants from donor advised funds are not eligible for a charitable deduction.